Sunday, March 13, 2016

Benjamin's 3rd Birthday, Toy Story Style

Benjamin turned 3 years old this month! As facebook reminded me that three years ago Benjamin was a newborn, I thought about how at his age, growth and development are so noticeable. There isn't any difference between 22 year old me and 25 year old me, but the difference between newborn Benjamin and 3 year old Benjamin is huge! Every day he talks more and more and shows his understanding and development. I love it and miss the younger him all at the same time.

Planning and hosting his birthday party this year was really fun for me because I got to go all out. This was the first year I wasn't in school for Benjamin's birthday, so I had time to put a lot of effort into it. I decided on a Toy Story theme because those movies are currently Benjamin's favorite and he loves Woody and Buzz.

I made and sent out these invitations:



Guests were greeted by this sign:
We started the party with lunch. I got pizza from Pizza Hut and taped the "Pizza Planet" logo onto the boxes. (I didn't get enough Sprite and Root Beer for the kids, and got too much Coke and Dr. Pepper for the adults, so next time: more Sprite and Root Beer!)

After lunch we played a game. I printed out and colored six Mr. Potato Heads, taped them to soda cans and stacked them into a pyramid. The kids were given a bean bag and got three chances to knock the Mr. Potato Heads over while wearing a cowboy hat.
The kids then got to hit a Buzz Lightyear piƱata.


 After that we sang "Happy Birthday" to Benjamin and to my aunt Anna. I designed and made Benjamin's cake. At this time we got on Skype so that Gerson's parents, who live in California, could join in the singing and watch him open his presents.


While everyone was eating cake, I took a giant Etch A Sketch frame (which I made) and took pictures of all of the guests.







As people got ready to leave, the kids were given "alien" balloons (lime green balloons with three eyes glued on each one) and army guy toys as party favors. They also got to decorate their own star shaped cookies ("sheriff badges").

I really enjoyed planning and hosting this party, and Benjamin had so much fun! I didn't think I was the "creative mom" type, but now I know that I can throw a good kids party. :) And to give credit were credit is due, here are the blogs I that inspired this party:

http://ohsugareventplanning.blogspot.com/2011/01/preview-toy-story-birthday.html
http://craftycagirl.blogspot.com/2012/08/toy-story-party.html
http://catchmyparty.com/photos/1713156
http://brittishdesigns.blogspot.com/2012/04/scarletts-1st-birthday-party.html
http://catchmyparty.com/photos/1859828

I saved everything, so if any of my family or friends throw a Toy Story party in the future, you are more than welcome to borrow anything you want. :)

3 comments:

  1. You are an amazing Mom!!! I'm glad I was able to be there late even though the party was over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We loved seeing you too! And being late gave you more one on one time with my kids. ;)

      Delete
  2. Such lovely party on the occasion of Benjamin's 3rd Birthday. I am in love with that cake. Thanks for these cute photos. My son is super excited these days for his 7th birthday. He wants star wars party so I am doing all of the planning work. Just decided to opt for nearby rental Chicago event venues.

    ReplyDelete